- Home
- Government
- About Atherton
- History of Atherton
History of Atherton
Fair Oaks
In 1866, Atherton was known as Fair Oaks, and was a flag stop on the California Coast for the Southern Pacific Railroad between San Francisco and San Jose for the convenience of farmers, ranchers and the owners of large estates living north of Menlo Park. The entire area was called Menlo Park. It was part of the Rancho de las Pulgas, which is now southern San Mateo County.
Incorporation of Atherton
In 1923, Menlo Park wanted to incorporate its lands to include Fair Oaks. During a meeting of the representatives of the two communities, the Fair Oaks property owners wanted to maintain their community as a strictly residential area, so they chose to incorporate it independent of Menlo Park. Both groups rushed to the county seat in Redwood City, but the Fair Oaks committee arrived first. When they submitted their petition to incorporate, they realized that they could not keep the name Fair Oaks, as it was already the name of a town near Sacramento. It was decided to honor Faxon Dean Atherton who had been one of the first property owners in the Fair Oaks area and name the town for him. Atherton was incorporated on September 12, 1923.
Town Name
Faxon D. Atherton, originally from Massachusetts, had spent several years as a trader in tallow, hides, and merchandise between Chile, Hawaii and California.. His friend and business associate, Thomas Lark, had written to him about the opportunities, for family and business, on the San Francisco peninsula. Atherton purchased over 600 acres in 1860. His home, Valparaiso Park, was built several years later, where the Circus Club currently is located.
With the development of the railroad, other San Franciscans established summer homes in the Fair Oaks area. The dirt roads were usually treacherous in the winter and the families would only visit May through September. The launching of the San Francisco to San Jose Railroad in October 1863 totally changed this situation.
Estates & Residents
The Mayor of San Francisco, Thomas H. Selby, purchased over 400 acres and called his estate Almendral, after the street on which Faxon Atherton lived in Valparaiso, Chile. John T. Doyle, an attorney, also built a home, Ringwood off Middlefield Road. James C. Flood, built the Linden Towers estate, which is now known as Lindenwood. The Joseph A Donohoe estate was Holmgrove and is now the site of Menlo Atherton High School. James Thomas Watkins' home was Fair Oaks, which stands today on Alejandra Avenue, after being moved twice.
Edward E. Eyre reigned as the first mayor and in 1928, the residents voted to build a Town Hall, which is still in use today. The early residents sought to build a town that would be divided into large parcels and would not contain businesses. During the 1920s and 1930s, a few of the large land holdings were subdivided, including James Floods’ estate in 1938. In the 1940s and 1950s, over 80 subdivisions were recorded bringing the era of large estates to a close.
Present
Atherton is still a plain of oaks. Native live oaks, white oaks, bays, redwoods, cedars, pines, and other ornamental trees cover the six square miles of town. There are approximately 50 miles of roads. The population is around 7,000 with approximately 2,500 households.
Ms. Olive Holbrook-Palmer left Holbrook-Palmer Park, a 22 acre park, to the town in 1958. It is an open, tree-covered park, which offers recreational programs and has facilities for functions.